Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Unexpected Response

So for the last three weeks or so I've allowed myself to play host to the delusion that I could woo a woman far out of my league. While the initial interaction proved somewhat fruitful, at least insofar as it seemed to convey a mutual attraction, it has now come to light that, like so many other wonderous chapters of my life, I'm a day late and a dollar short.
She was nice enough to let me down easy, and in all honesty seemed somewhat dejected that I chose not to pursue even conversation with her, after the admission. As a few unlucky readers have experienced, platonic relations with me are strained when the female is in a relationship. For some reason I'm unable to extricate myself from any measure of analysis regarding actions, words, and decisions, which causes me to form a deeper bond and inevitably cause friction. While this may seem like serendipity in that it allows me to satisfy my initial agenda, following my debacle with Nicole and the recent fiascos with not just one, but a total of three women whom I'd had any kind of connection with, beyond simple once a week communication, I'm forced to reason that I actually did the woman a favor.
The true irony though, is that I've realized, perhaps for the first time in true appreciation, just how complex an individual I really am. I embody a dangerous dichotomy of being not only able to understand the most minute and seemingly insignificant clues to someone's true feelings, but I function as an emotional extremist, feeling the true uncontained forces of primal emotional energy in their rawest form, regardless of connotation. Given my abilities it fits to reason that any contact with me is simply an invitation for undue complexity and stress. My seemingly inescapable, albeit innate, penchant for in depth analysis of human social behaviors and interactions has caused me to become a bigger burden than a boon when my observations are not altogether actively pursued or sought out by the receiving party. I'm capable of providing remarkable insight on complex situations in a way that leaves people, even twice my age, questioning their own powers of reasoning and yet marvelling at my deductive prowess. However, as I said, it is a double edged sword. My talent is put to extraordinary use when employed for the purpose of providing perspective to those in need, but it quickly becomes a curse when used to point out something I perceive to be obvious but ultimately is a fulcrum upon which a dynamic turns.
So while my initial reaction to her admission of no longer being available was no where close to being crestfallen, it does raise the very interesting question of just where exactly I fit into the lives of those women whose romantic liasons disallow for interpersonal dynamics such as those propogated by my association? While I will concede that I am perhaps dramatizing the effect of my involvment, I do feel it pertinent to point out that it is more the reaction to my insight, rather than the analysis itself that causes the issue. To put it another way, my insight usually catalyzes long needed but identified change which is turn elicits a question of impetus from the uninformed party. The explanation that follows is somewhat demoralizing because while my contact with the effected might be brief, my observations are poingnant and once listed, they are all but dumbfounded by how innately obvious everything truly was.
More and more I find myself becoming a remarkable and noteworthy anamoly among my peers. I purposely engendered a life of stability and reliability as a means of winning Nicole away from her husband, I actively seek to keep busy and perpetually occupied (lest my demons find a way to permeate the forefront of my thoughts) instead of whiling away countless hours in pursuit of hedonistic pleasures, I shy away from superficial relations in all forms, and have made an active and vocal commitment to decry excesses and extraneous trappings as unneeded. Yet still I spread the seeds of my complex nature like a plague, bringing insight, rational thinking, and a greater sense of self awareness to those unlucky enough to be targeted by my high powered perception, or worse, those that find themselves in the wake of my finely honed skills. Suddenly I feel very much like Wobbly-Headed-Bob.
It seems that, as always and much to the chagrin of those who've gone from my sphere of influence, with me there is never such a thing as an easy answer. Ever a deep and thought provoking idealist, my innate abilities make it almost impossible for me to simply take anything at face value. While it could be argued that if properly used it is a virtue, my stance is that I am inexorably driven to provide my (more often) accurate and deep observations even when forcibly trying not to, the action in itself creating an interesting duality of warring selves and being wholly aware and actively working toward resolution.
So the question becomes whether or not you, my readers, would agree that I am in point of fact the impetus of complication and complexity that I have professed to be, or if I serve as something more than a voice of reason catalyzed and villified by own need to comment on the unaddressed and misunderstood. Your thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. oklike i saw this post on craigslistlul and it was like yoo come here for free bjs huhu.. so im like here... supp um 17/m/LA any one? lolol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladies and gentlemen, our first spam comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know my thoughts on this subject dear friend and I must say that this post has a whole different feel to it...i like it. its new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel you. sometimes i feel like im too self aware therefore i know that it wont work with someone before it even starts. its a very annoying thing to constantly think about and to analyze people and how they will fit with you.... =/

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I was on your page, I wanted to stop by on this one and note that I have read this, even the day it was posted and again, it seemed a bit familiar. I don't have much to say, as you already know how I feel about this topic. It was of course, pretty accurate on the situation and I hope that one day you find that perfect match who doesn't make you want to pull out your hair. lol. Nick, you're a great guy, but be patient with yourself. I think there's going to be a girl that comes into your life that you wont be able to read so clearly. She'll be your Bella, if you will. I know you hate Twilight, but that's a prime example. Someone that can keep your attention, who you don't have to provide much insight too and fix their stupid problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I think you’re the one operating in a dream. I cannot be anything other than what I am. I read people, exceptionally well. I can discern emotions, intentions, compulsions, and motivations through text, never mind actual body language, tone, inflection, or what I read in their eyes. People are puzzles, fascinating puzzles. Once I’ve figured them out, the allure wears off and I’m on to the next one. I know that’s kind of sad to say, but really if people have some kind of contradiction or anomaly then they hold my interest for longer periods of time, but when they cease to be interesting, I find that my mind moves instinctively to other pursuits. I have no issue continuing healthy communication with those that provide no intellectual stimulation, but my want to be around them, to figure them out, to revel in their experiences, become far lessened and in the end, I find that I’m forcing the association.

    That said, the idea of finding my counterpoint, is almost laughable. The biggest reason I was able to let go of Nicole and not spiral into my own oblivion was because I had her figured out completely. I have you figured out, I’ve got most of my readers pegged and the few quirks that remain undocumented provide a raised eyebrow before returning to business as usual. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to say that I’m beyond the capacity to be surprised but by and large I find that people exist within boundaries things they will and will not do, and very rarely find the courage or compulsion to act outside of them. An emotional partner that could hold my interest indefinitely is probably out there, but every passing day that sees my analytical acumen grow is another day that her job becomes more and more difficult. I’m not impatient, just in touch with reality. I know I’m a decent guy, with a small list of vices or shortcomings, but to find someone willing to take the time to see me for me and still remain interesting and engaging is like trying to a cure for cancer in hamster droppings or building working space shuttle from popsicle sticks, it can probably be done, with great effort and commitment, but really, why would you want to?

    ReplyDelete